The FASTag Will Soon Be Mandatory – Here’s Why You Should Quickly Get Yours
Posted on Monday, October 7th, 2019 | By IndusInd Bank
It’s the start of a much-awaited vacation. Your plans for the holidays are all set. You are looking forward to unwind from the humdrum routine of life with an extended road trip. The journey seems to be turning out as planned, except that you didn’t really anticipate the time and fuel you needed to waste in long queues at the toll booths. The struggle to remain calm despite the chaotic traffic is real – at the back of your mind, all you can think about is zooming past the toll booth without having to spend every ounce of your patience behind dozens of fellow impatient drivers. Well, there is a way out – no, not out of the toll booth but out of the hassle of waiting in long queues at such booths – FASTag highway toll payments.
What is a FASTag?
Operated by theNational Highway Authority of India, FASTagis an online highway toll payment optionthat uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to make paymentsdirectly from a linked pre-paid wallet or a bank account linked to it. This tagis attached to the vehicle’s windshield once the tag account is activated.
In simpler terms, a FASTag allows you to enjoy a hassle-free highway trip as you do not need to stop at the toll plaza for making cash transactions. By December 1, 2019, the Road Ministry is expected to convert all lanes in the fee plaza as FASTag lanes, which means it may become mandatory to have a FASTag on your vehicle or pay higher toll fees. The government is doing so to promote digital payments at toll plazas and reduce congestion on national highways toll plazas, since cash transactions consume a lot of time.
Features of a FASTag
- A FASTag can be issued for a low fee of Rs. 100, inclusive of GST charges
- A security deposit ranging from Rs. 200 to Rs. 500 is required to issue the tag. This amount depends upon the category of the vehicle
- To get a FASTag, all you need to do is approach your bank’s nearest branch and get your KYC done through documents (original as well as photocopies), passport size photographs, and vehicle documents such as Registration Certificate. Note – For each vehicle, you need to get a separate FASTag
- Once the tag has been activated, it is attached to the respective vehicle’s windshield and is valid for a period of five years, following which the tag needs to be re-issued
- After your tag has been activated, you can easily recharge it at any time, from anywhere, via a number of available options – UPI, net banking, credit cards, debit cards, etc.
- At present, the FASTag facility has been made available at almost 420+ toll booths and plazas across National and State Highways. These numbers are increasing with each passing day
Benefits of a FASTag
- Perhaps the most important benefit of a FASTag is convenience; as you do not need to fumble for cash every time you pass through a toll booth
- A FASTag can easily be recharged online
- When you pass through a toll booth, you will receive SMS alerts, informing you of the name of the booth you just passed and the amount of toll that was deducted
- Thanks to the FASTag, you can save on fuel charges and time wasted in waiting at the toll booths
- The introduction of the FASTag is leading to centralised monitoring and better management of the highways
- Traffic problems can be significantly reduced due to the implementation of a FASTag
- The FASTag is environment-friendly – Digital payments instead of manual payments save paper, and thus trees, and better traffic control tackles the issue of air pollution.
- Enjoy the added benefits of 2.5% cashback on all toll payments (valid till March 31st, 2020)
Where Can I Get a FASTag?
Applying for aFASTag is easy and hassle-free. You can apply for a FASTag online with IndusInd Bank.Enjoy the added benefits of 2.5% cashback on all toll payments (valid tillMarch 31st, 2020), auto recharge, and auto allocation facilitieswhere your tag will be funded automatically on reaching low balance, providedsufficient funds are available in your bank account. So, don’t wait and apply for a IndusInd Bank FASTag today!